Our History

St. Vincent de Paul High School has been a leader in Catholic education for over 100 years. While many things may have changed, our commitment to to the education of our students in the Catholic tradition remains strong.

1859

Fr. Louis Lootens, St. Vincent’s second pastor, opened St. Vincent’s first classroom in a parishioner’s stable.

1865

Fr. Lootens purchased the land for St. Vincent Academy to be built.

1888

The cornerstone of the St. Vincent Academy for Girls, in the care of the Daughters of Charity nuns, was laid on April 29th.

 

St. Vincent School for Boys continued to be conducted by lay teachers in a classroom under the church.

 

Sisters of Notre Dame take over on July 26.

1892

Due to a rule that didn’t allow the Sisters of Notre Dame to teach boys, the Notre Dame Sisters were replaced by the Sisters of Charity, B.V.M. nuns.

1918

First class of three students graduates from St. Vincent de Paul High School.

1936

St. Vincent de Paul parish broke ground for a new grammar school. The old, but remodeled grammar school building became St. Vincent High School.

1937

The dedication ceremony takes place of the new St. Vincent de Paul High School at Howard & Union Streets.

1960

Plans are made for a new high school, at Keokuk and Magnolia Streets and the building was dedicated in 1962.

1986

The end of an era…..

 

The last of the B.V.M. sisters left the school. A celebration was held to honor the ninety-four years of service the order had given the parish and schools.

2001

The dedication of the Victor L. DeCarli Gymnasium on the St. Vincent de Paul High School campus.

2009

Yarbrough Stadium at Kiely Field is officially dedicated.

2014

The Rick & Tricia Young Family Field House adjacent to the field is dedicated.

2018

St. Vincent de Paul High School celebrates is cenntenial year. 100 years of Catholic education in Petaluma.

 

The newly renovated weight room facility and Senior Lounge are completed.